English Club ideas
To introduce some variety to your English club's activities (and maybe some classes too!)
The following ideas were collected at the January 2015 SDC . Many thanks to all the contributors!
- Summarize a short Japanese news article in English (good way to introduce using visual aids in presentations)
- Write about a photo: describe what is happening and predict what will happen next
- Give the students a short story (or watch a film clip!) and let students write their own endings
- Write short statements about a topic, then have students guess who wrote which statement
- Board games (e.g., Scrabble, Ticket to Ride)
- Party games (e.g., charades, Werewolf (Jinroh)/Mafia)
- Crafts (e.g., dyeing Easter eggs, making piñatas)
- Cooking using English recipes and/or translate recipes into English (makes a good handout for Cultural Festival)
- Arrange the cut up lyrics to an English song in the right order (good when learning the song)
- Make a storybook with illustrations
- Learn popular English songs
- Play scenes from a film with the sound turned low and the students recite the lines along with the characters (can be used for scenes leading up to songs the students have learned, e.g., in Disney films)
- Dub an episode of an anime into English
- English plays or puppet shows
- English Café – the servers are students; the customers can be students, teachers, or even Kyoto-sensei !
- Presentations about school for incoming 1st Year students
- Christmas party with local ES
- Learn the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA) – good for using English dictionaries
- Learn common Greek/Latin prefixes and suffixes – good for vocabulary building
- Learn internet slang
- English graded readers (some series are downloadable)
- Work through a practical English conversation book
- Work through a grammar workbook
- Kobe College Picture Book Translation Contest (神戸女学院大学 絵本翻訳コンクール) [HS only]
- Japan-America Society of Kobe English Recitation Contest (神戸日米協会 高校生英語暗誦大会) [HS only]
- International Pacific University English Speech Contest (IPC・IPU杯 高校生英語スピーチコンテスト) [HS only] http://www.ipu-japan.ac.jp/25505/
Other ideas? Add ’em in the comments below!
Submitted by Stephanie Swan on Wed, 07/13/2016 - 15:53.